What is family mediation?
Family mediation is a confidential form of dispute resolution for separating couples.
A mediator is a neutral third party who is trained to help a couple resolve issues surrounding their separation, such as finances and the children.
What are the benefits of mediation?
- Mediation gives you the power to address issues between yourselves and make your own solutions for dealing with matters rather than having a decision ordered by the court.
- Mediation provides a controlled and managed environment to discuss often tricky issues.
- You can cover all aspects of separation in mediation – finances, children and the divorce, rather than potentially having separate court proceedings for each issue.
- By communicating with each other directly, mediation can help you both move on from the relationship with dignity and look ahead to the future, rather than dwelling too heavily on the past.
- Mediation is child-focused and the welfare of the children is put at the forefront of any discussions.
- Mediation is less expensive as you split the cost of the mediator’s hourly rate between you.
- Mediation is often quicker than negotiations through solicitors or the court process.
- Provided all parties are available, and the information needed to progress is gathered efficiently, sessions can take place at a much swifter pace to fit your own timetable.