90 seconds on… Maintenance

"We're divorcing. Will I get spousal maintenance?" Our family law experts answer your questions.

Illustration of couple signifying divorce and spousal maintenance

My husband and I are divorcing. Will I get spousal maintenance?

If you are not able to support yourself financially following a divorce, you can seek an order that your former spouse pays you a fixed monthly sum for an agreed duration. Spousal maintenance is usually paid until the receiving spouse is able to achieve financial independence and it is separate from any child maintenance payments.

Am I entitled to it?

There is no automatic right to spousal maintenance. If you have not worked for a number of years whilst raising children or earn significantly less than your spouse, you may be entitled to financial support. The starting point is to make list of all your reasonable monthly outgoings to determine whether there is a shortfall, taking into account your income from all sources. The next stage is to look to your former spouse’s ability to meet that shortfall.  There is no set formula for working out the level of maintenance and it will ultimately depend on factors such as the duration of the marriage, standard of living and earnings.

When will the payments come to an end?

They will automatically come to an end on death, your remarriage and possibly cohabitation. Payments would normally continue for a fixed period e.g., three or five years until you are able to reach financial independence – this is the approach the courts are now favouring. However, in some cases payments may continue for a longer period until the youngest child reaches 18 or the paying party retires. Payments can also be varied up or down by either party if there is a significant change in circumstances.

Spousal maintenance is one of the trickiest areas of a divorce settlement to negotiate. As every family’s circumstances are different it is important to take specialist legal advice to explore your options. Our family team will be happy to discuss your situation.

Please note the contents contained in this article are for general guidance only and reflection the position at time of posting. Legal advice should be sought before taking action in relation to specific matters.

More Articles

Do you own your property?

One of the questions which frequently comes across my desk is that of ownership...

Social media: Is your prize promotion legal?

When running a prize promotion or a prize draw competition there is a...

Written by Clare Veal

Commercial landlord? The Minimum Energy Efficiency Standard (MEES)

As part of the drive to carbon net zero, minimum energy efficiency standards...

Written by John Campbell

Find out how we can help you


© Peacock & Co 2024. All Rights Reserved.

Peacock & Co is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority.